Saturday, May 23, 2009

Dad's Conversation with a Workmate

Walking out to the car with one of the guys from work, Dad had the following conversation (remember, Dad works for Motorola):

Work guy: So, do your girls text?

Dad: Well, they don't have phones.

Work guy: WHAT?!? They don't have phones?!?!

Dad: No... why would they need phones?

Work guy (flabbergasted): Don't they rebel?!

Dad: Um, no...

Work guy: Well, what do they do when they go out?! (meaning, out to the mall with friends, etc. not "do they ever leave the house")

Dad: ... They don't go out.

Work guy: WHAT?!?! You keep 'em under lock and key, huh? How old are they?

Dad: 17 and 15.

Work guy: Does she drive?

Dad: No, not yet.

Work guy: WHAT?!!? She doesn't drive yet?!

Funny what some folks think are the necessities of life... :-)

4 comments:

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

HAHAHA! I love it so funny!

Hannah

Anonymous said...

I hope this doesn't offend you in anyway. But coming from a conservative background I once agreed with your approach with your daughters. But now I would really, really caution you in the direction you are going with your soon to be adult daughters. Your intentions I'm sure are wonderful and you desire nothing but the best for them. But in the process of protecting them you may possibly be removing the autonomy God intended them to have as single adult women. I would really encourage you to read the recent articles by Michael Pearl "Cloistered Homeschool Syndrome"

Hope this gives you some food for thought in raising your daugthers for the Kingdom of God. Raising children is a daunting task, so God bless you in your efforts.

The Yens said...

Glad you liked it Hannah!

Anonymous, I appreciate your comment and thanks for sharing. I think you're making some pretty sweeping assumptions, though, from a very brief conversation with a non-Christian friend.

Just because our daughters
1. don't have their OWN cell phones to text with their friends all day (please trust me when I say our home is FULL of plenty of cell phones),
2. that we're choosing to teach our daughters to drive ourselves which means they can't get their permits until they are 17 and 3/4 years old according to law and that
3. they don't spend their days at the mall with their peers or their nights out on "dates" with young men
certainly doesn't mean that they're stuck at home wasting their lives away.

Miss R.J. said...

Very funny!

Miss R.J.

 

Copyright © 2011 The Yen Family Blog . All rights reserved. | Designed by PrairieRoseDesigns.com